12.18.2013

This Again Too


I'm going to start writing again. I can't believe I neglected pen and paper (creatively) throughout this whole semester. I guess I was just busy. It's helpful though, so I'm going to start it up again too. Here's a piece I was working on last fall. 

Downcount

You came
and mopped me up
with bucket-water, gray,
so dirt-choked
it was hard to breathe.
So I counted satellites instead,
one, two,
until the sky washed white
and it was morning
and I said fuck morning.

But then you braided
my hair once,
caught the strands
between your fingers,
eyes, counting, three
twists overlapping
until somehow you held on
and it was something beautiful,
something snagged in the sun
and beautiful,
bird-specks-black,
four, five
outside and beautiful.
And I leaned with the wind
six seasons, then seven
with your breath
and started counting again,
in, out,
eight, nine.

- K

3 comments:

  1. fucking jesus christ, this is really something, keltor. like really something. one of your best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I can't top Jenna's spot on diction... :) you've really got a good thing going here miss kelton, wow dear! wow.

    ReplyDelete