6.25.2012

Into the Wind

Image

Image


Image





The first 80 miles were spectacular- the sun pricked the sky just as we started from Dillon at 6 a.m. and stretched our shadows far across the asphalt. The first two passes were difficult but so pretty that I didn't even mind how much my legs were burning. But then came the wind. The last 50 miles were brutal: a strong 22 mph headwind with gusts up to 40. It never stopped. As my friend, D, said to me afterwards, "there are few things more demoralizing than a headwind." I considered quitting and hopping on the bus for the last 20 miles into Dillon, but I knew if I did that, I'd probably cry all the way in. So instead I pedaled through the final stretch. I was incredibly lucky to be riding with a tough and encouraging group. Anytime I would fall off the end of the pace line, one of the guys would turn around and pull to protect me from the wind. By the end, we were all covered in dust and sweat and unbelievable relief.


- K

2 comments: